17 May 2015

tasting the season


F O O D & P L A C E S ||

I love discovering hidden gems in London. What started off as a search for 'the best roasts in London' for a catch up with school friends who I hadn't seen for many years resulted in me finding Season Kitchen. Around the corner from Finsbury Park station, amongst the hair-shops, local market stalls and news agents, is a cute little restaurant only serving dishes using the best of seasonal produce. The restaurant atmosphere is cosy and cute but still open and airy. Every dish on the main menu looked delicious and it felt like a pretty tough choice ahead until I spotted the tasting menu: six courses for £24. You get to try a wide variety of the main dishes [miniaturised] on offer which is really fun but also a bargain. It's a great little spot and although I didn't get to try their sunday roast this time [ends at 4pm] I can't wait to. Apparently the menu is weekly-changing too so am sure I'll be going back several more times to test my weird-and-wonderful produce knowledge and further educate my tastebuds.

where || Season Kitchen, 53 Stroud Green Road, London N4 3EF



nettle soup w/ horseradish creme fraiche
a delicious start to the menu, full of flavour, warming and the little horseradish kick was a perfect touch


scallop ceviche w/ wasabi parfait
delicate ceviche and the wasabi parfait was a really surprise - refreshing, almost sweet to start and then pow


duck ham w/ mascarpone & figs
sweet, salty and creamy with a real mix of textures made this a delight to eat - pretty plating too


chicken & duck liver quack nuggets w/ ponzu dipping sauce
well cooked liver, nugget-style adding a lovely crunch, and the orange was a surprisingly tasty accompaniment


pulled kid w/ ramsons, sweet cicely & cobnuts
such a beautiful plate with lots of new-to-my-tastebuds elements - tender goat meat with well balanced sides


rosemary chocolate pot w/ black pepper biscotti
sea salt and rosemary with chocolate may be my new favourite combination, super morish with yummy biscotti


hope you've all had a lovely weekend - it's been glorious!

C: