10 May 2015

grandpa's ginger chicken


R E C I P E ||

This might look like I love soupy dishes. I do. Last week I managed to finally catch the cold that's been zooming around the city and when I told my grandpa he just said: eat ginger chicken. I lie, he actually also said drink lots of lemon, honey and whiskey but I couldn't fill my belly with solely that so ginger chicken it was. When you're in ill-mode cooking is probably the last thing you want to do but trust me when I say grandpa was right - not only was the ginger chicken delicious and comforting but the kick of the ginger perked me right up. This dish is a winner all round, thanks gramps! Read on if you want to know how I made it and feel like having a go too.



the ingredients. || feeds 2 - 4

chicken [4 thighs], ginger [1.5 medium], onions [1.5], spring onions [3 bits], garlic [3 cloves], lemon [one half], parsley [good sized bunch], *peas/leeks/pakchoi [a handful], rice noodles [1 nest], mushroom stock [half a cube] and hot water. *optional

step-by-step. || takes 40 - 60 minutes


1. chop up the onions, garlic, ginger, spring onions and parsley into small parts


2. pour a good amount of olive oil into a pan and add in the chopped onions, garlic and half the ginger
3. once the onions have softened, add the chicken and add in a good pinch of salt and pepper


4. get your stock ready by crushing half a cube into a bowl and adding boiling water [and stir]


5. turn the chicken and stir [add a little bit of stock so it becomes a bit of a sauce and doesn't stick]
6. once the chicken has browned, add the spring onions, parsley and the other half of the ginger [stir]


7. keep stiring and when the chicken looks nearly cooked add your stock [enough to just cover the chicken]


8. [optional] add a handful of your chosen greens / vegetables


9. as the chicken stews, prepare your rice noodles [add a nest to a bowl of boiling water for 10 minutes]


10. when your noodles are ready, rinse in cold water and place into the bottom of a bowl


finally. pour the chicken onto the rice noodles, squeeze a bit of lemon on top and voila!

If you have a go, let me know how it goes and share pics please.

C: