6 March 2015

vary amin'anana


R E C I P E ||

I've been meaning to upload this recipe for a good while and finally got a little nudge this week. During my last trip to Madagascar, I asked mum to teach me how to make a traditional dish called vary amin'anana which translates simply to rice with greens. It's actually a rice soup and for me one of the most comforting dishes and reminds me of my mumma every time I make it. D'awww.


the ingredients.
x2 tomatoes (shelled out)
x4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 - 2 inches of ginger (chopped)
x1 white onion
x3 - 4 spring onions
2 - 3 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
good grind of pepper
x3 types of "greens" - good sized bunches (to taste)
2 cups of long grain rice (e.g. basmati)

step-by-step. || a 40 - 60 minute creation


1. cut open your tomatoes and shell out all of the insides
[ no pips allowed! ]
2. chop up the garlic, ginger, onion, tomatoes and spring onions into similar sized small chunks
[ sometimes I make my ginger pieces bigger as I love the taste and hit of flavour / spice mid rice soup ]

3. add the olive oil to a good deep pot* along with the chopped garlic, ginger, onion and tomato
[ *le creusets are quite good ]
4. add a good pinch of salt and a good grind of black pepper
[ I used Sarawak black pepper from a relatively recent trip ]
5. once the above has softened and mushed a little, add the spring onions and leave it all to simmer

6. chop up your greens into good sized chunks or strips
[ I used cavolo nero aka black kale, leeks and baby leaf greens ]
7. add your chopped greens into the melting pot of onions et al, stir in and let the green soften
[ increase heat if needed ]

8. wash your basmati rice* and add to the now softened greens in sauce
[ *I usually do this 3/4 times to get rid of most of the starch ]
9. check the seasoning at this point and add more salt or pepper if needed
[ taste the greens or sauce ]
10. cover the ingredients in the pot with cold water until level, close the lid and let it do its thang

11. after 20 - 30 minutes check the rice to see if it's cooked, leave a little longer if not
[ the rice should be soft ]
12. add more water throughout these stages if needed and to preferred taste
[ this is a rice soup so I quite like it relatively liquid-y ]

And voila!

Let me know if you try it out and how it went.

Oh and I finally decided to be brave so have lastminutedotcom applied for a scholarship with World Nomads Passport & Plate using this recipe as it means a lot to me. Check out my entry here [and please excuse any typos...] There are so many fantastic recipes so do check it out generally. In the mean time, I'll be crossing everything that the judges like my entry and I get the opportunity for another adventure!

C: