21 December 2014

eye candy *


D E S I G N E R S || Warby Parker

Fellow specs-wearers beware, I have recently been pointed in the direction of rebellious eyewear designers Warby Parker. Their philosophy is simple: glasses should be high-quality but still affordable. Plus they believe that we should giving specs-access to the one billion in need around the world. 

Something I think they're missing from their mission is real choice. I usually get pretty bored when I'm faced with choosing a new pair of specs - the 'walls of choice' I usually face aren't that exciting because the choice is either cheap and bland or designer and unnecessarily expensive. These guys have come up with something just right in between.

d a y || [top row] Edgeworth in sage, Keene in beach glass, Topper in striped olive [middle row] Upton in sea smoke tortoise, Kimball in marzipan tortoise, Fillmore in redwood ash [bottom row] Durand in saddle russet, Duckworth in marine slate, Watts in blue sapphire

Another thing I think these guys are missing in their philosophy is personality. Every pair of their collection has a distinct personality which to me makes them so easy to identify with. If these ranges have really been created direct from their customers' feedback then they have some pretty interesting and creative clients. Picking just nine favourites [from each of the collection] to feature in this post was a task [not helped by the fact I'm super indecisive]. I just want to lift them all off the site and try on!


s u n || [top row] Downing in walnut tortoise, Winston in old fashioned fade, Ellison in marbles sandstone [middle row] Quimby in absinthe, Teddy in petal tortoise, Banks in sea smoke tortoise [bottom row] Raglan in pearled tortoise, Neville in redwood ash, Everly in windswept

Both the Optical and Suncare ranges are playful yet wearable. Starting from $95 there is no reason why you wouldn't invest. Unfortunately for us UK / outside-of-the-USA lot, there are no stores for us nearby to get the Warby Parker experience. Shall we sign a petition or something?! I want to.

Nethertheless, it's really refreshing to see something so practical be so fun. If I'm honest, from the day I was told I had to wear glasses I tried to avoid wearing them. I now mainly sport contacts due to practicality [can't be dealing with constantly steamed glasses when I cook] but I have to admit that if I owned a pair of these I may rethink my glasses:contacts wearing scenario. Will definitely be paying these guys a visit next time my glasses are up for renewal, that's for sure…

The team have also recently launched a couple of new collections; one of which I am loving: the Concentric Collection [modelled by the lovely man below], which I agree has a "nice ring to it". 

C o n c e n t r i c C o l l e c t i o n || [left to right] Murphy in crystal, Everly in whistler grey, Benchley in oak barrel


* This post is sponsored by Warby Parker.
Thanks for opening my eyes up to the alternative [no pun intended].

Find out more about Warby Parker here.
The full girls Optical range is here and for Sunwear here.
And don't feel left out boys because your Optical range is here and Sunwear here.

C: