27 July 2014

dancetastic


E V E N T || WOMAD festival, day two

Hellooo again! Isn't WOMAD such a treat, you guys get a post every day [hehe]. If you missed what's been happening, you can check out my post on day one. Day two is always a bit of a music marathon - you'll want to see everyone so you'll circle everything on the programme. That's exactly what happened to Ellie and I today. There was so much grooving [and steps] that even my pedometer can confirm I did 19,337 steps today [nearly double my every day goal so highly winning there]. We ran from here there and everywhere and thoroughly enjoyed doing it. Get ready for a mammoth read because we managed to achieve a lot today! Stay tuned for the last day tomorrow, there are definitely more treats in store...

wearing
wrap top [London Spitalfields African market, Ghanaian print]
shorts [+Gap ]
kicks [+Converse]



T H E F O O D ||

Breakfast onsite usually makes me feel like I'm on holiday in happy land. We ended up eating Happy Crepes [that's right, they make you real happy] - I had banana and nutella, Ellie had spinach and cheese. This was complimented by the most delicious iced coffee from The Love Coffee Cafe - I had a caramel iced latte and Ellie an amaretto iced latte. A champion breakfast if you ask me.


Now, I have to be honest - food was severely limited today as there was just so much music to be seeing. After breakfast, naturally we kept fuelled and energy levels up via more liquorice. Check out me and my liquorice dealer Peter - he's got a little mobile stall so that when I'm desperate lazy I just run to him rather than trekking to the actual shop about five minutes away. So, Peter to the rescue today. We also had some cake as it was pop-pops birthday, hurray. For dinner [it may sound limited but] I opted for the Real Sausage & Mash Company where I grabbed a tomato & garlic sausage in a hoagy roll with a dollop of hot spinach. It was quick, delicious and hit the right spot as I was running from one stage to the other. 


T H E S I T E ||

Aside from the food and the music, the site is very pretty and full of gems so I thought I would show you some snaps of this. Colourful flags everywhere and shops selling anything and everything from around the world as well as your classic festival gear. We found a stall selling caps, bags and hot air balloons out of drinks cans made in Vietnam which looked fun. I also ended up buying some pretty snazzy African print trousers from Tanzania which will no doubt make an appearance on here in the near future [you've been warned]. WOMAD stalls are genuinely a shopping mecca so come with a budget or you will go crazy. Alternatively, get great self control like Ellie and resist until the last day [Sunday] when you will probably get some excellent bargains.


T H E M U S I C || dancetastic

Siyaya, Zimbabwe
"Evergreen drums and dance, now with a poignant First World War focus"
Cathia: Although I only saw Siyaya for one song, they were great to listen to and opened up the day with some sunny songs. Of what I saw, the dancing was pretty fun too.
Ellie: Though I did not see this band at all, they supplied some toe tapping beats to compliment our conversation in the bar next door.


Martin Simpson & Dom Flemons, UK/USA
"Guitar guru meets banjo balladeer"
Cathia: I was so gutted to have missed the start of this set because I loved what I saw. A perfect duo - Martin's banjo playing and Dom's epic bones playing got me grooving away. A lovely set and one of my clear favourites of the day!
Ellie: This set was both entertaining and educational. I loved Dom and Martin's conversational style and this truly talented duo made for a great WOMAD experience.


Anna Cinzia Villani & the Macuran Orchestra, Italy
"The protector of Salento's musical traditions"
Cathia: Anna had a very powerful voice for such a petite lady which was not only surprising but impressive. Much more mellow than my usual music choice but lovely to listen to in the sun.
Ellie: Anna Cinzia Villani had a haunting, unique and powerful sound. I was surprised her orchestra was so small but they complimented her voice really well, I particularly liked the double bassist.


Kobo Town, Trinidad/Canada
"Gate keepers of calypso, much more besides…"
Cathia: We weren't planning to catch Kobo Town but they sounded so fun as we walked past that we had to stop for a little boogie. The crowd were loving them and the atmosphere was buzzing.
Ellie: Kobo Town were not what I was expecting of a Canadian calypso band. As Cathia says, they caught our attention as we were passing by, groovy tunes brah.


Muyayo Rif, Spain
"Roof raising Catalan ska"
Cathia: Had some fun dancing to these guys in some open space behind a pogoing audience. Clearly a fun bunch rocking the afternoon away.
Ellie: I had high expectations for this group and they truly delivered some roof raising ska for sure [even though were outdoors]. I had great fun dancing in the sunshine.


Yaaba Funk, UK
"Afrobeat and highlife with a London accent"
Cathia: I am a Londoner who had never heard of these guys and am ashamed. What a fun and colourful bunch - a real mix of African rhythms with some groovy Afrobeat equals a happy dancing Cathia.
Ellie: The facial expressions alone were worth the show. This expressive bunch pumped out the dancing tunes.


Mulatu Astatke, Ethiopia
"The architect of Ethio-jazz"
Cathia: I'm not sure why this wasn't immediately circled on my programme given one of my favourite albums of the last few years has been Ethiopiques. If you don't recognise, you might soon enough because Mulatu Astatke is the original genius behind many tracks including the beat of As We Enter by Nas & Damian Marley on Distant Relatives. I love jazz and when Ethiopiques came out it was an immediate winning formula for me. I ate "dinner" while grooving to Mulatu Astatke this evening and am so glad I did because it was super groovy - had me dancing and humming all the way to the next gig...


Fat Freddy's Drop, New Zealand
"The fourteen legged reggae soul groove machine"
Cathia: These guys were a clear crowd favourite, particular with the teens - understandably so as it was like they were throwing a great big party in the Siam tent. I enjoyed dancing to their music but had to come out of air as the heat and sweat got a bit much!
Ellie: Aside from the sweaty armpit in my face, crammed into the Siam tent, I have real respect for this group's sound. Trippy, melodic, soulful equals eclectic to the extreme.


Youssou N'Dour et Le Super Etoile de Dakar, Senegal
"Do you really need an introduction?"
Cathia: What a treat. Superstar and legend Uncle Youssou did not disappoint. Super Etoile were super tight, Youssou's voice was beautiful as ever and I felt like I had been transported to an open air stage in Senegal. Gold stars everywhere and even more when I got a snap with him!
Ellie: Youssou and his super team's explosive performance had everyone, young and old, on their feet. Each of them were brilliant entertainers which made everyone including me happy happy happy.


C: