1 August 2013

my duck adventure


This week's nails are inspired by a recent trip to the beautiful HKK London with fellow foodie +Chris of tikichris. You will hopefully clock what inspired me in a bit... :)

HKK is part of the Hakkasan restaurant group. After hearing the rave reviews about The Duck at HKK when we were at Saka No Hana last month, I felt extremely privileged to be invited to try the duck tasting menu at HKK. Alix had said it was the most delicious duck she had tried and given I am a huge duck fan I was really intrigued!

Hidden away, five minutes walk from Liverpool Street, Chris and I entered a very serene haven. After trekking across London from west to east on potentially the hottest tube line, I can't explain how happy I was to arrive to such a zen, cool and airy environment. From arrival the staff were super attentive, friendly and made us feel instantly relaxed. Were we really in the middle of the City?! We sat at one of the tables surrounding a beautiful central island (where the duck would later be carved by the chef) and were introduced to our head waiter and our sommelier by restaurant manager Mehmet. With tired brain cells and ultimate trust in the team, Chris and I opted to make zero decisions and just let the experts take us through the duck tasting journey.


OUR MENU | 24th June 2013

course one | lotus and mango duck wrap
course two | cherry wood roasted Pecking duck
accompanied by | 2011 Albarino "Marinero", Terras Gauda, Rias Baixas, Spain
course three | truffle duck broth
course four | monk fish pan-mee in Italian white truffle sauce
accompanied by | 2011 Pinot Noir, Stepp & Gaul, Pfalz, Germany
dessert | salted cashew nut and milk chocolate parfait
tea | high mountain oolong


I'm not sure if my photos fully do the food and restaurant justice but hopefully they've given you a taster of what an amazing experience this was. Even Chris (who has been to many a great places) said it was probably one of his best meals so far this year. And I was just in heaven. My favourite meat, cooked beautifully, paired with the perfect wine choices, in a zen setting just made for a special experience which I won't be forgetting for a long while. My highlights have to be: the crispy duck skin, the most tender Peking roast duck I have ever tried, the smell of the truffle broth as soon as the soup bowl was opened & the refreshing first sip of the Albarino to kick-off a lovely meal. I genuinely felt spoilt and very lucky to have been invited to The HKK Duck Experience. To top it off, the chef came out at the end of our meal and signed us each our own bespoke menu - what an honour!

That evening, I went into HKK with already high expectations and the fact that I walked out with these exceeded just says it all. This is a fantastic restaurant showcasing fine dining at its best and I would highly recommend. Plus, if like me you're a big fan of duck, trust me here - you've never tried duck at this level before.

Oh, and if you haven't guessed it yet - this week's nails are inspired by course three (truffle and duck broth which came with these dainty chinese mushrooms). They were too cute for me not to love :)

For more information (and beautiful pictures) of HKK London | visit here
To read Chris' review and view his (much better) pictures | visit tikichris here
To read about my visit to Sake No Hana for a Sake tasting event | visit my post here

Thank you very much team HKK!

nails | base: mint green (Barry M), stalks: spilled milk (+Topshop), mushroom tops: mushroom (Barry M)